Thursday, January 29, 2009

So Many Books, So Little Time


One thing I've always known about myself is that I am a true book junkie. I love the covers, the smell of the paper, the weight of a book in my hands and the written word. I've loved to read since I was a toddler and could hold a book and pretend I was reading. I remember how excited I was when I first learned how to read and I would practice my reading every moment I wasn't outside playing with friends.
When I was in 4th grade, Mrs. Shaw, the librarian at Dean Road Elementary School, finally told me, "Susan, you've read every book in here". I know that was an exaggeration, but it wasn't completely untrue. The only books I hadn't read were a few in the science category. I did read most of them, though. My favorites at that time were biographies of historical figures and I can still see the covers in my mind. I also was a Nancy Drew fanatic. I went to Grant's at Glendean Shopping Center faithfully every week to see if a new Nancy Drew book was on the shelf. Of course, I was too young to know they only came out every few months, but I could hope, and imagine my joy when there it was, a brand new Nancy Drew with a yellow, textured cover and a title that just begged to be read. I couldn't get home with my new prize fast enough. I would devour my new book in hours and then the wait for the next one would start all over again.
In my books I was a president, a detective, a nurse, an explorer, a doctor, you name it and I was happy. I would visit the most wonderful, exotic places like Pine Valley, River Heights, Sleepyside, a pirate ship or the museum. Most of my friends couldn't relate to my love of books, but I just knew they were jealous when I would tell them of my latest adventure.
Over the years my tastes have changed, but one fact remains, I still love books. I go to the bookstore faithfully every week searching out the newest mystery, cookbook, biography, devotional or magazine. My to be read pile is more of a to be read wall, but it makes me happy to see those beloved and cherished books full of new friends ready to welcome me into their world.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love your memories, Susan! I remember Grant's - and I'll bet you were allowed to walk there!

I am moving all the fiction in our house - trying to get every book shelved in proper order so I can find a book when I want it. Some of the books Joan and I moved tonight were a few Nancy Drew mysteries (Marley appropriated the rest of them a few months ago). Your post was the perfect reading for tonight!

Susan said...

Thank you so much, Laura!! Yes, those were the days when all of us were allowed to walk or ride our bicycles all over Auburn and it was wonderful. Sometimes I miss Grant's and all the great stores we went to as kids.
Over the years I've lost or misplaced some of my Nancy Drews so I scour the flea markets and antique stores in search of them. I really don't know why, though, none of my nieces are interested in them. I just love to collect them.